Des Paroz, 6th Dan
He commenced training in Shorinjiryu Karate in 1983, and spent 2 years in Japan in the early 1990's as a student of So-Shihan Masayuki Kukan Hisataka, Hanshi 9th Dan, at the So-Hombu Dojo of Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo. In 1993 Des assisted So-Shihan Hisataka in a seminar tour of Europe, and was graded to 3rd Dan at the end of that time.
Des also co-wrote a manuscript with Hisataka Sensei, which later formed the basis of the book Essential Shorinjiryu Karatedo (published in 1994 by Charles E. Tuttle & Company). Des was credited as "Author's Assistant" in the final publication.
In 2005 and again in 2006, Des trained at the dojo of Hanshi Shunji Watanabe of Shorinjiryu Kenyukai Watanabe Ha Karate, a direct successor to the founder of Shorinjiryu Kenkokan, Kaiso Kori Hisataka.
From 2007-2011, Australian Shorinjiryu Karatedo was part of the Shorinjiryu Kenyukai Watanabe Ha World Federation.
In 2011, along with Kyoshi Jim Griffin, Shihan Max Estens, Shihan Lesley Griffin and Tasshi Tony Fletcher, Des was a co-founder of Shorinjiryu Koshinkai Karatedo, a unique school that teaches the old and new methods of Shorinjiryu, by way way of the founder's two main students, along with other training methods adopted by the school.
The folllowing is a list of some of Des' qualification, accomplishments and positions in the martial arts and related fields
- 6th Dan Shihan, Shorinjiryu Koshinkai Karatedo (2012)
- 6th Dan, Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai (2012)
- 6th Dan, International Budo Institute (2012)
- 5th Dan Renshi, Shorinjiryu Kenyukai Watanabe Ha Karate (2008)
- 3rd Dan, Shorinjiryu Kenkokan Karatedo (1993)
- Certificate IV in Training & Assessment (TAE40110)
- First Aid and CPR instructor-trainer (current HLTFA301C: Apply First Aid)
- NCAS/AKF Bronze (Level 1) Coach
- Current NSW Working With Children Check
- Certified Kettlebell Instructor
- President of the Australian Shorinjiryu Karatedo Assocation (2005-present)
- International Relations Director for the International Shorinjiryu Shinzen Kyokai
- Technical advisor to the International Budo Institute
- Proud member of the International Ryukyu Karate Research Society.
- Featured in Blitz Magazine, September 2011 (Vol 25 Issue 9)